Monday, April 1, 2013

Vaccines and Arctic Monkeys, 9:30 Club, May 17, 2011

Rachel, Meg, and I went to see Arctic Monkeys and openning act the Vaccines at the 9:30 Club last night.

The frontman for the Vaccines was very nice to look at, and the music was pretty good, but the instruments were amped up louder than the vocals, so I couldn't really enjoy the songs. I hate it when sound engineers do that. I really wanted the lead singer to stand up straight, tough - he had horrible posture, like he was permanently slouched over. He would have looked more confident if he threw
his shoulders back now and then. The guitarist's grandparents were rocking out on the balcony singing along to every Vaccines song. They had to have been 80. He went up and joined them for the Arctic Monkeys set, which is how we knew they were with him. Looked like some other relatives were with them too, including a kid.

The singer from Arctic Monkeys seemed stoned, which could explain the badly written songs on the new album that just came out, but the old stuff was still very good. The sound engineering at the beginning of the set made it hard to hear the vocals, but I think it improved a bit by the end. It was the first stop on their tour, so not too surprizing that there were technical problems. What did surprise me was how uninterested in the crowd the band seemed - but again, I say, I think it was drugs. The crowd couldn't have had more excitement and energy - it was the crowd that bands dream of. I'm glad I saw them once, but I'm not interested in seeing them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment