Monday, April 1, 2013

Airborne Toxic Event, Mona, 9:30 Club, Nov 22, 2011

I went to Airborne Toxic Event's concert at the 9:30 Club Tuesday, Nov 22 - my third time at one of their shows in just 15 months. It was very good, again.  The lead singer climbed across the balcony railing to the bar and sung from there part of the time, which was really entertaining. I have to say, though, the band looked exhausted. They've been touring non-stop for about a year, and I think it shows in their energy levels. They are still good, but I think most of the energy on stage came from the frantic lights show, not the performers. The lights pissed me off. My eyelid was twitching from the heavy use of strobe lights. I spent too much of the show looking at the floor to avoid them.

Mona was really good, too. I could see them gaining steadily in popularity and become as mainstream as Spoon. They had a ton of energy on stage. They engaged the audience, and I liked all of their songs - even the one's I'd never heard before. They were cute, too, which never hurts. I recommend them.

Drowning Men were bad. They tried really hard to be cool, but they just don't have talent. They dressed the part and used lots of unusual instruments, but couldn't pull it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment