Monday, April 1, 2013

Caroline Smith and the Good Night Sleeps, Rock and Roll Hotel, Mar 1, 2012

I'm doing this review a week late, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. The first opener was a local trio named Kindlewood that was extremely ambitious. Each band member played about 3 instruments simultaneously. The music wasn't great, but I thought it had some promise. The second opener was a duo called Dietrich Strause. They had a nice enough sound, but all the songs sounded the same and they all seemed appropriate for a depressing folk festival. The singer kept trying to encourage
complicated audience particiation. I looked at my watch a lot.

Caroline Smith and the Good Night Sleeeps was worth the wait. The band sounded good and her voice was amazing! I never would have guessed that such a rich, mature voice comes from someone so young. They seemed to have a lot of experience on stage and were very good at engaging the audience. The songs they played had some stylistic repetition, but were still very interesting. I
absolutely loved the show and recommend them if they come back to town. This one was a gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment