Monday, April 1, 2013

Joy Formidable concert review - Black Cat, 3/25/11

Eric and I went to see Joy Formidable at the Black Cat last night.

There were two openers, neither of which was very memorable. The first was Lonely Forrest. They were ok in a good-college-band kind of way. I could see hiring them to play a party. But there was nothing unique about them. They were just a generic 4-piece rock band and the members didn't know how to work a crowd.

Mona came on next, and it too was a generic 4-piece rock band, this time seemingly inspired by Bon Jovi. (In sound, not appearance.) Few in the crowd seemed appreciative of them. I certainly didn't. I almost fell asleep during their set, even though it was loud and fast.

Joy Formidable certainly deserves the hype. They have a unique sound, are mature in their musicianship, and have good stage presence. I understand why so many people think they are amazing. They are impressive and talented, but only a couple of their songs appeal to me. Most of their music is hard, driving, and fast with plenty of distortion and ethereal vocals. Eric thought they were great and even bought the shirt. I will pass on them next time they come to town.

No comments:

Post a Comment