Monday, April 1, 2013

Purity Ring, Ava Luna, Red Palace, March 22, 2012

Purity Ring, Red Palace, 3-22-12
I went with Trish to this show, mostly to avoid my mother-in-law, who was in town for a week.
The opener Ava Luna was pretty bad. Every song had something about it that made me cringe. I think they were trying to experiment with dissonance, but mostly failed. There were moments when I thought they might have an interesting sound, if only they could refine it. I don't recommend them.

Purity Ring is much more chill than my usual concert fare, but I still enjoyed it. The singer's voice was gorgeous and clear, and the electronic-playing dude had a great gimmick using touch-sensitive lights as an interactive stage set element. Very impressive for such a new band. I did want to counsel the singer to visit a stylist. She had the worst 80s-retro hair I've seen in a while. This was a worthwhile show, especially if you like chill wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment