Monday, April 1, 2013

Foster the People, 9:30 Club, June 22, 2011

So, I went to Foster the People (I ended up with 5 people from the DC Indie Concerts Meetup group), and the verdict is: worth seeing.

The openners were entirely forgetable. Nothing wrong with them, but nothing special either. Just two guy bands standing around doing their average music. One of them was from California and only mumbled their name one time. (Seriously? You're trying to sell music and not telling audiences your name?? Get a clue!) The second band was from Nashville and had the word "villa" and maybe "garden" in the name. I'm beginning to think that 9:30 club deliberately makes the vocals impossible to hear for all openners. Or maybe the fuzzy distortion was their "sound". Meh.

Foster the People didn't go on until after 10:15, and concluded at around 11:15. To the best of my knowledge, the lead singer is also the songwriter, so I tend to think of their music as "his" music. It's a 5 guy band heavy on synths and drums, but with guitar and bass too. All the guys were barely-out-of-college young and energetic, clean cut and cute (not hot, just cute - not mature enough looking to be hot). I was surprized that the lead singer's vocals were consistently nasal, but I came to accept that it's just his sound; it is distinctive and has a 1970's teen soul vibe to it. The impressive part of the show was how confident they all were on stage. No pretention, just physically comfortable acting engaged and energetic on stage. It was a solid show. The guys switched instruments often, and the singer was bouncy and dancing with seemingly boundless energy. He also COMMITTED. When he sang all out, you could see his back molars. (Well I could. I was in the 3rd row from the stage.) I
wish there had been more banter with the audience, but that's my only critique. I left the show amazed that such a young band (like 1 year old) had such impressive stage skill. I'm pretty confident that this band is heading towards mass popular success. The September show will likely be your last chance to say you saw them when. It's also probably your last chance to see them while their
music still seems new - before they are overplayed on the radio and used in commercials and teen soap operas on TV. I kept comparing them to Maroon 5 in my head.

I recommend you go (several of you want to, and I've met you all and you will like each other), but I will sit the September show out. It was a solidly good show, but not one I want to see twice.

As for the Meetup group, that was a good enough experience to do again. They weren't as extremely young as I'd feared - probably late 20s/early 30s. A couple of them were recent transplants to the area. Nice people, though I didn't meet any concert-going soul mates. It wasn't creapy, if you want to give Meetup a try. It seems like a really good option for obscure bands at Red Palace and Rock and Roll Hotel that you might otherwise have trouble talking this list into.

No comments:

Post a Comment