Monday, April 1, 2013

Shoulda, coulda, but didn't write these concert reviews

I rediscovered music in 2010, not too long after getting my first iPod (years after everyone else) and having my 2nd baby. Suddenly I was able to find music I like again. Back then, I wasn't as obsessed with documenting all the great shows I saw, and I don't have any reviews to post about my early concert-going experiences, but here are a few memories I have from the missing shows:


June 7, 2010
Broken Bells and POP ETC
9:30 Club
Trish called me up day-of with a spare ticket and I met her there. We talked to a funny drunk kid and wormed our way near the front on the floor. I didn't like the show much - too slow for me.

June 11, 2010
Mason Jennings
State Theatre
Went with Eric. The opener was Jessica Lee Mayfield who was really impressive and has been making a name for herself for the past few years.  Love the venue, just wish they booked more acts I like.

July 2, 2010
Sleigh Bells
Rock & Roll Hotel
Saw this show with Eric and LOVED it. We made instant-friends with the couple standing next to us in the front row, I got to talk to Alexis at the merch table, and she even spit water on me from the stage. Awesome.

July 7, 2010
She & Him The Chapin Sisters
9:30 Club
Dana scored us last minute tickets from Craigslist - back before Stubhub took over! It was a good show, but not that memorable. I did completely creep out the instant-friends from July 2 by finding them in the crowd. They thought I was a stalker.

July 12, 2010
Civil Twilight and Paper Tongues Neon Trees and ME TALK PRETTY
9:30 Club
Only $10 and I got to see Neon Trees when they were nobodies. He's got an amazing voice and stage presence.

August 5, 2010
Keane Ingrid Michaelson and Fran Healy
Merriweather Post Pavilion
Went with Laura while Eric watched all 4 of our kids. Ingrid was so fun, Keane was boring.

August 6, 2010
Arcade Fire Spoon
Merriweather Post Pavilion
Went with Anna, Paul, Dana, and Trish, and it was AMAZING. Only the 2nd? show of the tour supporting the Suburbs album, which later took off.

August 9, 2010
Phosphorescent J. Tillman
Black Cat
Trish talked me into this one. J. Tillman had a great way with the audience. I don't remember much of his music, but I remember he was charming. Phosphorescent impressed the socks off of me, and they played forever. I think I got home at around 2 am.

August 14, 2010
MGMT and Devendra Banhart Violens
Merriweather Post Pavilion
Eric and I went because I talked him into it. It wasn't a very memorable show. Mostly, I remember that I wore a pink sparkly shirt. That's about all.

September 7, 2010
The Airborne Toxic Event Calder Quartet
Sixth & I Historic Synagogue
First time I saw ATE live, and it was amazing. They brought strings, and the acoustics in the synagogue made it an unforgettable show.

September 8, 2010
Best Coast Cults
Rock & Roll Hotel
I wish I could forget this show. Trish talked me into it, and I hated every second. I ended up leaving early and sitting in a nearby bar waiting for it to end so Trish and I could leave together.

September 11, 2010
Vampire Weekend, Beach House and Dum Dum Girls
Merriweather Post Pavilion
A great weather night out on the lawn. I liked the chandeliers on their set.

September 13, 2010
of Montreal and Janelle MonĂ¡e
9:30 Club
Janelle Monae is one of the very best acts I've ever seen live. Absolutely enthralling, and I don't like R&B inspired music. She's a consummate performer. Of Montreal sucked by comparison.

Sept 25, 2010
Virgin Mobile FreeFest 2010 T.I., M.I.A, The Temper Trap, Ludacris, Jimmy Eat World, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, Matt & Kim, and Yeasayer
This was a transporting experience for me. The first full day to myself without family obligations in YEARS, coupled with discovering several acts I came to love - Edward Sharp, Matt & Kim, and Yeasayer especially.

Oct 3, 2010
Foals Girl In a Coma
Black Cat
Loved Girl in a Coma, then left early during Foals. I bought a shirt and got to talk to the band.  I'm such a fangirl about this band.

Oct 5, 2010
The xx and Zola Jesus Warpaint
9:30 Club
LOVED Warpaint, hated Zola Jesus, left early underwhelmed about XX.

Oct 22, 2010
Two Door Cinema Club Grouplove and Penguin Prison
Black Cat
Grouplove blew me and Eric away live. They are great performers. The rest was unmemorable.

February 17, 2011
Darwin Deez Painted faces
Black Cat
Went with someone who know a band member. Darwin Deez was funny, but not very good musically.

February 18, 2011
Max Bemis and Say Anything and River City Extension
Ottobar
Went for River City Extension (3 pieces out of 10, acoustic set) and got to talk to a band member at the merch table. Again: FANGIRL!

February 24, 2011
The Low Anthem Bobby and Daniel Lefkowitz
Sixth & I Historic Synagogue
Saw with Dana, Alex and a friend. Beautiful, but sleep inspiring. Loved the bug-chirp cell phone trick.

April 2, 2011
Warpaint PVT
Black Cat
Took Eric to see Warpaint. They weren't as good the second time.

June 28, 2011
Matt & Kim
The Thermals and
Autobot of Flosstradamus
9:30 Club
AMAZING live, as usual. You can't help but party out with the band. Love Kim's crowd-surfing booty dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment