Monday, April 1, 2013

Sweetlife Festival Recap, Merriweather Post Pavillion, 5/1/11

If you were torn about attending the Sweetlife Festival, you really didn't miss much. I was disappointed. I got there near the end of the second band, U.S. Royalty, which was pretty good from the one song I heard, then Walk the Moon came on for a blink of an eye while I was away from my seat and was done by the time I got back. I barely paid attention to the hip hop band Theophilus London- all I remember was his shiny silver hat. Ra Ra Riot sounded beautiful but had an entirely forgetable stage presence, as did Cold War Kids. Crystal Castles was unbelieveably bad. The sound quality was horrible. Lupe Fiasco was another hip hop band, so I paid no attention at all. Girl Talk had the best stage show, but that's a DJ that does mash ups of popular songs, so all he did was push play and then jump around the stage yelling "yeah" now and then while an army of people danced on stage and shot toilet paper and confetti and balls and ballons into the audience. The Strokes had absolutely no stage performance, just an entertaining lights show, though they sounded great. Julian seemed to be blissed out on something. And it rained. We had seats in the pavillion, but because it
was general seating, if you left for the bathroom you gave up your seat, so I held it for 5 hours.

You missed nothing. I'm glad I heard the Strokes, though, and that I passed on buying 9:30 club tix for Cold War Kids and Crystal Castles earlier this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment