Monday, April 1, 2013

Deerhoof, Benjy Ferree and The Dees & E.D. Sedgwick, 9:30 Club, Oct 1, 2011

Deerhoof turned out to be WAY experimental. The couple songs I know were the only ones I liked of their set (they seem to be the only ones that have vocals and are commercially approachable, too), and we ended up leaving early. I was impressed by how they made a couple guitars, a bass and a minimalistic drum kit sound experimental, without synthsizers or other miscellaneous instruments.

Benjy Ferree was good enough, but seemed like a one-trick pony. All his songs sounded the same. He looked like a middle-aged nerd, and for a while, he and I suppose his wife invited 2 kids to play on stage with them. The kids did well. I learned later that Benjy is local, and it seems the kids are not his own. He used the star-treck sounding instrument (ther-something), which I'd never seen live before.

The Dees and E.D. Sedgwick weren't great, but Eric and I both thought there was something interesting about them. I'm going to listen to them again and see if they are better recorded. The are very creative in their lyrics. There was a song about a serial killer that they should submit to Dexter. I liked the vocal contrast. Sortof like the guy from the B-52s and a soulful black woman as backup.

No comments:

Post a Comment