Monday, April 1, 2013

Alt-J and Hundred Waters at 9:30 Club, March 4, 2013

Alt-J at 9:30 Club 3-4-13
Trish and I went to see Alt-J at the 9:30 Club a couple weeks ago. The opener was Hundred Waters. Beautiful sounding music that was entirely forgettable. They had no stage act at all - they just stood there. I got bored watching them do nothing and sat down (upstairs) and  checked email for a while. Nice ambient background music, though.

Alt-J sounded amazing live. I thought the sound was much better live than recorded. I think they went light on the gimmick-y Sesame Street voices live, which helped. I was impressed by the sound, but there was no stage act and no audience involvement. I think the singer addressed the audience directly one time. Otherwise, they just stood there in the pretty lights and sounded trippy-dippy awesome. I was a bit disappointed. It was a cold Monday night in winter. They should have made it worth my while to stand there watching them.

Verdicts:
Hundred Waters: not worth seeing live
Alt-J: Worth hearing live, but don't fight your way to the front row. Nothing worth seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment