Monday, April 1, 2013

Free Energy at DC9 April 19, 2012

Free Energy at DC9, 4-19-12
This was my first time at DC9, and I like it as a venue. The space was small - maybe 200 capacity, but it was a squarish shaped room with a stage in the corner and bar in the back, so sight lines weren't really bad anywhere, though the stage is only a foot off the ground. (So don't stand behind somone tall!) Parking was pretty easy in the neighborhood, too. There's even a rooftop bar from which you can see Howard U Hospital. (It's not that far from 9:30 Club.) Like Red Palace, the ticketing system is just a list of names and a stamp on the hand.

Free Energy is a fun pop rock band with a lot of energy on stage. The lead singer looks much better with shorter hair, but the justin beiber cut is not doing him favors. He's a very engaging frontman, though. The band played well. My complaint is the sound mixing at the club. They didn't have the vocals up high enough to hear them clearly over the instruments. For me, that's a fatal flaw in sound. I don't go to shows to listen to instruments; I go to shows to hear the songs, which includes the voice front and center.

No comments:

Post a Comment