Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Hill and Wood and Bethany and the Guitar at a house concert April 6, 2013


I went to this house concert alone because Eric was sick and I really wanted to see The Hill and the Wood.  It was part of a house concert series organized by NXNWpresents. The venue was a twenty-something group house that seemed to be inhabited by young men, based on the décor. The audience was likewise almost entirely 20-somethings. I got there about 40 minutes before the music started and parked myself in a corner, checking Facebook on my phone, being antisocial, because I didn’t feel like engaging the 20-somethings in conversation.

Bethany and the Guitar was the opener. They are a local DC act, and were really pleasant to listen to, though none of their songs seemed memorable to me. I would enjoy hearing them in a bar or club as background music, but nothing they performed that night intrigued me enough to download their music.

The Hill and The Wood made it obvious how much work Bethany still needs to do to be a national-caliber act. Typical indie, slightly folksy with interesting songwriting, but so well done. Their vocals were amazing, and several of their songs blew me away live. I absolutely want to see them again, and I want to drag my friends along next time.  Listing to their music here.
Bethany and the Guitar, 04-06-2013
The Hill and the Wood, 04-06-2013

 

No comments:

Post a Comment