Monday, April 1, 2013

Jeremy Messersmith house concert on Nov 17, 2012

Jeremy Messersmith house concert 11-17-2012
Genevieve and Eric and I went to a house concert in Cheverly, MD that turned out to be my FAVORITE concert of the year. It was so fun! I think house concerts of artists you like are amazing, but this one was exceptionally so.

The artist was Jeremy Messersmith, a 30 year old singer-songwriter from somewhere in the upper mid-west. Most of his music is pay-what-you-want on bandcamp, if you want to check him out. A lot of quirky material, lots of love songs, nicely sung. I like him quite a lot. Organ Donor, A Girl a Boy and a Graveyard, and Novocain are three of my favorite songs. http://jeremymessersmith.bandcamp.com/

So Jeremy was very good, and it was fun to be able to walk right up to him and chat before and after the show, but it was everything else that made it an extraordinary night. First off, it was a pot luck, and being an indie crowd, there was plenty of vegan food I could eat, which made me happy. But that wasn't the main reason. The really incredible thing was the stage the host built in the back yard. He bought backdrops from the Shakespeare company garage sale and hung them on either side of a huge tree, then places a riser below it and made a back wall of wood cords with colored bottles interspersed. Each of those bottles was lit from within by christmas lights, and there were spotlights trained on the stage. There were also fire pits in either corner, and some people roasted marshmallows. After it got too cold for Jeremy, we moved inside to the living room where at least one song was a sing-along. Even the inside of the house was adorable, with all sort of art scattered around. There was a magical, beautiful, mellow vibe to the evening that was rare and perfect - I felt like I was in a Gilmore Girls episode, in a good way.

Verdict:
Jeremy Messersmith: Best show of the year, I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment