Monday, April 1, 2013

River City Extension and Kevin Devine concert review, Red Palace 3/26/11

Meg and I went to see River City Extension and Kevin Devine at the Red Palace last night, and I thought it was fantastic! Turns out it was the last stop on their tour and they all seemed to be exuberent, in high, sometimes goofy, spirits.

Red Palace has a capacity of 225 people and this was a sold out show. For comparison, Rock and Roll hotel holds 400, 9:30 club holds 1200, Black Cat mainstage holds 700 (backstage 200), Merriweather holds 19,000 (including lawn - I'm guessing this is festival capacity), and the Filmore will hold 2,000 when complete.

River City Extention was amazing. They fit all 8 members of their band on the tiny stage and had tremendous energy. Some of the members were clearly excellent multi-instrumental musicians. The end of the set was the best - they all came into the crowd and sang accapella while milling about. LOVED IT! I so recommend this band. They are my current obsession and I can't wait until they come back. They seem like a bunch of gypsy pirates with a ton of energy. I really hope this band makes it big.

Kevine Devine was MUCH better than I expected. Based on MySpace, I thought it was just a guy with a guitar and witty lyrics. Instead it was a guy with a rockin band with witty banter and intelligent lyrics that you could actually understand most of the time. Smart guy, and apparently he's been around for a while. I had no clue, but I'd happily see him again at a festival, though I wouldn't search him out.

No comments:

Post a Comment