Friday, May 16, 2014

Tokyo Police Club, Geographer, and Said The Whale May 13, 2014 at Black Cat

If you expect nothing, you're often pleasantly surprised. The inverse - expectations often disappoint -  is also true. I experienced both first-hand at the Tokyo Police Club concert last Tuesday night.


I had a ticket to go alone to this sold-out show at Black Cat. It was on a weeknight, so neither my husband nor my friends were interested in joining me. When that happens, I look to the DC Indie and Local Music Meetup for people to hang out with at the show. Meetup has introduced me to some people I like and others I would be happy to never run into again. So you just never know, but I'm always up for meeting new people. The Tokyo Police Club meetup was great - I enjoyed talking to everyone I met there. So here's my shout out to John, Lindsay, and Arthur.  There was one more person, but I didn't catch her name and she didn't RSVP, so I can't look it up.  Hey to you too, mystery girl.


So socially, exceeded expectations.  Musically, not so much. 

I went into this show with very high expectations. I'm a fan of both Said the Whale and Tokyo Police Club, at least casually. When a band has at least 2 singles on my favorites list, I consider myself a fan. I'm lazy about exploring back catalog songs or the rest of an album from a band. I'd rather spend my time looking for the next exciting band than getting to know a band inside and out. That strategy backfired on me at this show. 
Tokyo Police Club, Black Cat, 5-13-14


Sure, I heard all 5 songs I love from Said the Whale and Tokyo Police Club plus a few others I liked enough, but I also heard tons of stuff that bored me. Worse, I had this incorrect idea in my head that Tokyo Police Club would be high-energy. Not so much. Their songs are mostly a relaxed tempo. Not so good when you are sleep deprived and fighting to stay awake. Based on his banter, the lead singer seemed like a very nice person to talk to, though. 




Said the Whale, Black Cat, 5-13-14
Said the Whale were unremarkable in their stage show - just a bunch of people on stage. I liked their set, but didn't find any new favorite songs in it. They announced they were from Canada, so I thought maybe it was an all-Canadian lineup until I Googled Geographer and found out they are from San Francisco. Geographer is absolutely not my cup of tea. Entirely average 80s-throwback song. Nothing exceptional about it. 




Geographer, Black Cat, 5-13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment