Sunday, May 11, 2014

Chvrches concert, 9:30 Club, April 29, 2014



Chvrches, 9:30 Club, 4-29-14
I was very excited to see Chvrches again for the second time in less than a year. The first time was at Freefest, and for a festival performance, it was really good, so I was anxious to see what they could do at a traditional show. I was also excited to be going to the show with friends. Dana, Trish, and Em went with me that night, while other friends ended up going to the Wednesday night show because Tuesday sold out in the blink of an eye. So I went in with high expectations for a great night, but those expectations weren't quite met. First problem, I was tired, which is never a great start to a late night. Second problem, a gang of 20-something women pushed their to the edge of the balcony next to us, forcing me to fight for my spot constantly throughout the night. Third problem, strobe lights. I HATE when artists flash strobes at the audience, and unfortunately, there was a fair amount of it in their lights show. So three strikes, but they still weren't out. The sound quality was excellent and they were solid performers. The lights show was varied and interesting and would have been a positive if it weren't for the strobes. There was too much fake smoke, too, which annoyed me. So I really only lost myself in the music for one song that evening. The night didn't really live up to my expectations, but most of that wasn't the fault of the act. It was just one of those nights.

I thought Chvrches had already crossed over to mainstream, but it seems that they haven't quite yet. Before the show, I kept telling people I was excited about the concert, and no one knew who they were. I would have guessed that they were being played in Target and the mall by now, but I guess not.

The Range, 9:30 Club, 4-29-14
The Range was the opener, and he was really uninteresting to the crowd, those clearly didn't realize it (or care). It was electronic music without vocals, and it got old fast. It also went on FOREVER. Perhaps because Chvrches had a short set, so the opener had to make up some of the time.

Em, Trish, Anita, 9:30 Club, 4-29-14

No comments:

Post a Comment