Friday, May 9, 2014

Moon Hooch at Gypsy Sally's May 4, 2014

Moon Hooch at Gypsy Sally's 5-4-14

Moon Hooch at Gypsy Sally's 5-4-14





















Saxes are sexy again! I know you have been hearing saxophone in all sorts of indie rock/pop with 80s throw-back sounds (think M83, for example), but there's a new sound out there you should not miss! Moon Hooch are a trio of young men - 2 saxophonists and a drummer - who have created an amazing dance sound they call cave rock. Silly name, amazing music. They use some computer-generated dance sounds mixed in, and some of those sounds seem to be controlled by a very strange looking saxophone. I'm usually all about vocals, and their music has almost none, but I still think it's some of the best I've heard this year. YOU CAN NOT HELP BUT DANCE TO THIS! It's incredible. They don't pause in the music for a second, and they went on and on - a long set.  When do they even have time for a breath? They don't talk to the audience, but still they engage the audience completely. The front-men saxophonists (and occasional electronic musicians) are both very attractive young men with an unstoppable amount of energy. They bounced around stage the entire show. I now totally understand why young people went wild for jazz during its heyday - these guys made sax hot. I'm so impressed by them. Definitely go see them. They are a don't-you-dare-miss-them kind of act. I found out about them from NPR All Songs Considered. They were an it-band from SXSW 2014. Apparently, there's a Moon Hooch Tiny Desk Concert coming soon on NPR.

The opener was an entirely forgettable electo-rock jam band called Sakima from New Jersey.  I read a book through their set.  Boring.

The venue was new to me - Gypsy Sally's. It's under White Hurst Freeway on K Street in Georgetown, at the far dead end of the street.  Wonderful venue! I really loved the set up. There's a raised stage and dance floor with a couple bars on each side, then a large raised area with tables, then another higher tier of tables behind that. Great views of the stage and tons of seating. Pretty good parking availability, at least on a Sunday night. I didn't try the food, but the space was wonderful. Just wish they had more bands I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment