Wednesday, September 11, 2013

STRFKR and Small Black at 9:30 Club, September 4, 2013

Starfucker, 9:30 Club, 9-4-13

Small Black, 9:30 Club, 9-4-13



I bought this show ticket on impulse after realizing that I had 2 or 3 of the songs from Starfucker's 2013 album as well as 1 of Small Black's on my favorites lists. I figured there were good odds that I'd enjoy the show. It was a Wednesday night show and I didn't know anyone else going, so I hosted a Meetup for the Indie Concert group, and it was really well attended. Everyone who came was nice and interesting, and most of them were able to find us in the club. I arrived when the doors opened and got a great spot on the balcony for our group. It looked like a promising night, until the music started.

The first opener was Feelings, a solo electronic act gentleman from California who seemed to be channeling Ross from Friends while trying to sound like Robert Smith from the Cure, but failing. It was a gutsy move, but a horrible train wreck.  Poor guy.


Small Black were much better.  They bopped around on stage a little and seemed to be excited to be there, but I found their extended catalogue rather dull. I think they could be good someday, but they need some additional songs that people will want to sing along with. Most of what they played wasn't sing-along caliber.

Starfucker disappointed me. Most of their act was spent imitating statues. They barely moved on stage at all, and almost never acknowledge the audience in front of them. They relied entirely on their lights show to entertain, and annoyingly, audience-facing strobes were a part of that show. The lead singer (a man) wore a hausfrau dress and never commented on it. Not sure what the deal was with that, but apparently, it's common at their shows. Worst part of the show was the sound mixing. The vocals were really difficult to make out. Even when one of my favorites came on, it took me a while to identify it because I couldn't hear the vocals clearly. I ended up leaving before the end of the set.  I won't bother to see them again live.



No comments:

Post a Comment