Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Robert DeLong and Ghost Beach at U Street, 9-10-13

Ghost Beach, U Street, 9-10-13

Robert DeLong, U Street, 9-10-13
I went to Robert DeLong and Ghost Beach at U Street Music Hall on a Tuesday night (Sept 10, 2013) with Trish and a couple of her friends, wondering if it was possible for the show to live up to the fabulous time I had seeing DeLong in the same venue 7 months prior. It vastly surpassed that prior experience.

The opener, Ghost Beach, was very talented live. They've got at least one recognizable song out, and their performance on stage was extremely engaging. They really know how to work a crowd. They will be at Free Fest next week and I look forward to seeing them there again.

Robert DeLong is AMAZING live.  I haven't danced that much at a show for as long as I can remember. I'm sure it helps that I love his music and know it pretty well, but even the people we were with who'd never heard of him really enjoyed themselves. I couldn't see at all, and I know from experience it's fascinating to see him create the music, but I didn't mind because the music and the atmosphere was just that good.

As a side note, Trish made fun of me for coming to the show in face paint, but I was vindicated. Face paint is a thing at DeLong shows - there were volunteer face painters there. (I know I've seen him recruiting face painters on Facebook.)  So there. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment