Friday, June 28, 2013

We Were Promised Jetpacks and Twin Radio, Jammin' Java, June 14, 2013

Twin Radio at Jammin' Java, 6-14-13

We Were Promised Jetpacks, Jammin' Java, 6-14-13

Adam Thomson of WWPJ, 6-14-13













Eric and I went to see We Were Promised Jetpacks at Jammin’ Java on Friday, June 14, 2013, mostly because it was a Friday night and I thought it would be a fun show. We arrived so early that we went to the Outback Steak House across the street so Eric could eat and I could watch. (No way I’m eating steak. Bleh!) Call it an early Father’s Day dinner.  We arrived right before the opener, Twin Radio, went on, and connected with two women I’ve met at several Indie Concert Meetups before: Laura and Jane. The other half of the group were no-shows, maybe because the show sold out.  FYI, Jammin’ Java’s idea of sold out is entirely civilized. The floor was not crowded at all. Laura and Jane told us about their recent cross-country drive that included stops in Austin and Memphis and other music hot-spots. It sounded like a lot of fun.

Twin Radio is a local band that really tried hard to engage the audience. You could tell they were very happy to be on stage and gave it their all, but they weren’t actually good. I don’t even know the names of the kind of bands they were emulating. Rock that an 11 year old boy might mistake for cool – something you’d hear on a top 40 station. Sometimes I wondered if they might have a Christian rock leaning, but I couldn’t make out the lyrics – mostly I was going from the big “Jesus” tattoo on the lead singer’s arm. I found the use of a keytar (guitar style keyboard) hilarious. That singer spent most of the time (poorly) pantomiming the song lyrics that you couldn’t understand over the rest of the music.  I think his mom might have been in the audience. I think the whole band were DC-suburbs born and raised. Eric signed up for their mailing list when they offered him a sticker. He said he felt sorry for them.

We Were Promised Jetpacks still have 2 distinct styles: jam-band (I hate that one) and gorgeous vocals over hard-driving rock (LOVE that style).  So I loved exactly 50% of the show and wanted to fall asleep the other 50%. Same as last time I saw them, but this time I got to be REALLY close to the stage. Unfortunately, the lead singer is no longer the cutie-pie he once was. That boy loves himself some beer – and it shows in his waistline.  Young guy, but he’s passed the pudgy mark and is on the way to truly fat.  His accent is still gorgeous, though, and he still looks like he has his eyes closed when he sings.

No comments:

Post a Comment