Friday, October 17, 2014

J. Mascis with opener Luluc at Black Cat in Washington, DC, October 16, 2014

I regretted buying tickets to this show before I walked out the door of my house. I was simply not in the mood for another show after a festival weekend. But I’d been waiting to see J. Mascis for a couple years. He’s the lead singer from Dr. Junior who also has a solo career and is infamously antisocial. I love his solo albums. I decided to be a trooper and went out in spite of my mood.

I arrived at least half-way through the Luluc set and was really impressed. They are an Australian folk duo and this was only their second time in DC, the first being a house concert. I know this because the singer, ZoĆ« Randell, invoked a charming and gracious banter between numbers. Her partner Steve Hassett was less outspoken, but entertaining when he did speak and easy on the eyes.  I wished I liked slow folk music more – they would be a favorite if I did. I was rewarded for coming to this show by a Bob Boilen (All Songs Considered) sighting. (Finding him in a crowd is like a DC concert-goer version of Where’s Waldo? He goes to HUNDREDS of shows each year.) See their Tiny Desk Concert here.

J. Mascis was exactly what I expected. He sat and played his songs, throwing out an occasional “this is from my new album,” but almost nothing else. He sounded great, though. A few quirks I noticed: between songs, he used throat spray and licked dabs of salt that he had sitting in next to him. It was really salt – the salt grinder was right there – from Trader Joe’s, I think. I looked up “salt and singing” on the web and couldn’t find a reason, though salt water gargles are supposed to clear congestion. He also had all the lyrics (not music, just lyrics - I could see) sitting in front of him on a music stand as he played. The tuning breaks were filled with a reverent, awkward silence. I stayed for a few songs and called it an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment