Friday, June 27, 2014

James Blake at the Lincoln Theater, June 12, 2014

This is what I posted about this show on Facebook as it was happening: "I worshiping at the temple of dub step - a James Blake concert in the very civilized Lincoln Theater. Gorgeous sound, but this show is sleepy! Probably should not have bought this ticket. I thought it would be the amazing dance party I saw him play a couple years ago. At least I got an awesome seat in the front. Sometimes it pays off to go to a show alone."
James Blake, Lincoln Theater, 6-12-14

James Blake, Lincoln Theater, 6-12-14

What I meant is that there was an almost religious quality to the music that night. The first half the the set was haunting, spare, soulful, and yes, slow. By the time I was ready to leave (it was a school night!) the tempo was just starting to change. I stayed for 2 songs that were progressively more dance-able than anything prior. I think if I'd stayed until the very end it would have turned into the dance party I remembered. 

One thing that really surprised me about this show was the exceptional diversity of the audience. James Blake appeals to every demographic, apparently. Very cool, but I wouldn't have guessed that.  

I arrived late, so I missed the opener entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment