Tuesday, June 14, 2016

PWR BTTM at DC9 on June 13, 2016

 Monday, June 13, 2016 at DC9, I got to see the only band I’ve been excited about in 2016 – PWR BTTM. They are a very out queer duo. One of them might actually be trans – I don’t know. Bob Boilen of All Songs Considered raved about their live show, so I listened to their music and found it fun. Pop sensibility in that you can understand the words. Lyrics are clever and easy to remember (also easy to sing along to), and since the topics are usually relationships, the songs are relatable to non-queer audiences.  Very over-the-top costuming involving cross dressing, smeared makeup, and LOTS of glitter. The best part was the banter. I LOVE when the musicians create a relationship with the audience by talking to them between songs. If a live show doesn’t provide something more than just music, why bother going to live shows? They get it and put on a real performance. And they cared about what the audience could hear. I get so annoyed at shows where the instruments are too high and the vocals too low. They asked the audience and adjusted to improve. Even plagued with some feedback, it was still a big improvement.  I had heard them joking at a recorded session that they were going to make PWR BTTM underwear as merchandise, and I was slightly disappointed that they didn’t have it at the merch table. They are  funny, and I like their sense of humor. Next time I’m dragging everyone I know to this show. You’ll like it, I swear.

Petal was the first opener. The best thing I have to say about her is that her eyes looked Technicolor blue in the stage lights, and her hair looked silver. I also liked the flowers she pinned to her guitar strap. And her skin was lovely – great complexion. The music sounded horrible. I couldn’t hear a word she said with the instruments up so high and the constant feedback. Even if I had understood the lyrics, I don’t think I would have liked it. She seemed too earnest for me.  

Pity Sex was the headliner. I heard them rehearsing before the doors opened and wasn’t impressed, so I didn’t stay for any of their act. They seemed like a standard rock band with a female lead. Nothing special.

No comments:

Post a Comment