Sunday, January 5, 2014

San Fermin w/Marian McLaughlin at Strathmore Mansion, December 13, 2013

Marian McLaughlin 12-13-13

San Fermin, 12-13-13 at Strathmore



Eric, Dana and I met up at the Strathmore Mansion for San Fermin, which I saw and loved in October at DC9.

The opener was Marian McLaughlin, an experimental musician who plays guitar in a very unusual way (using a technique called "derive"). Dana and I thought some parts of the guitar work were really interesting, and her voice was good. Problem was, the lyrics  are truly abysmal and the songs seem to go on forever. It was painful to listen to, so of course, Eric thought it was amazing. (I think he was mostly into the guitar.) I could see Marian being the inspiration for someone else to use the guitar style in something more approachable. Or maybe she'll get a clue and evolve, or find a partner with a talent for song craft.  Good luck to her - she has raw talent, I just won't ever listen to her again.

San Fermin was nearly as good as last time, but had an issue with the sound mixing.  It was simply too loud. The sound engineer blasted everything, instead of bringing the vocals forward. The Strathmore Mansion is an intimate venue where you should not have to worry about ear damage. They need a better sound guy.  I still recommend their show and music 100%.  I'm hoping they break out big on the festival circuit this year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment