Sunday, November 17, 2013

Black Lips with Subsonics at Black Cat on Nov 2, 2013

Subsonics, Black Cat, 11-02-2013

Black Lips, Black Cat, 11-02-2013


Eric and I went to this Saturday night show that I've been looking forward to for a couple years. I missed Black Lips the last couple times they came to Baltimore (on weeknights, grrr), so I was very excited to discover they were coming to DC on a Saturday night! I love several of their songs, and I had heard that they were kind of crazy live. I thought I read somewhere that they'd been banned from some Asian country for their rowdy shows. So I was intrigued, and even though James Blake was playing the same night at 9:30 Club (and James Blake is awesome live), I bought these tickets.

I regretted that choice.

First, I just wasn't in a punk-ish kind of mood that night. I was tired and just wanted to chill. Eric and I sat in the far back on the riser for the entire opener (Subsonics) and half of the main act.

Second, while both acts had tons of energy on stage, both suffered from the same two problems: samey-samey song writing, and lack of engagement with the audience. When you can't tell one song from the next and the only thing that differentiates the songs is a slight pause in playing, it gets dull. Even more dull when the artists, who were VERY energetic, didn't acknowledge the audience a few feet in front of them.

So we left early and went back to our rock-star parking spot on 14th street, just two blocks from Black Cat. At least the parking space was fantastic, as was the vegan brownie I had at Busboys and Poets before the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment